OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:04:42 -0400
Good Birding

John Habig
261 Lantis Dr.
Carlisle, OH 45005

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Crippen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:00 PM
To: John Habig
Subject: RE: [Ohio-birds] Doves or Kite Trip?

John,

You'll want to find yourself on Highway 33 no matter what direction you
come
from.  If you take 33 out of Columbus, you will go through Columbus
coming
from the west and then about 3 or 4 miles east of Columbus you can (be
in
the right lane) take 33 east to Lancaster.  Lancaster now has a 33
bypass,
which is nice - because going through that town was a real drag , with
at
least 15 huge red lights.  Stay on "33 Logan", do not take business
district
where 33 splits.  Anyhow, take 33 east (really, its going more south
than
east FYI in case you are looking at your map)  past Lancaster, and
another
10 or 15 miles, you'll find yourself approaching the Logan exits.  Take
the
SR 328 exit and turn right off the exit ramp (if you are coming from
Columbus), this will take you over the Hocking River within 200 feet.
Within an another 100 feet, you'll see a right turn off of 328 and that
is
the golf course road entrance.  Immediately when you are taking the golf
course turn, simultaneously there is a road that heads off to your
right,
this is Keller Road.  Its real easy.  Go back on Keller Road about 1/5
mile,
all the while you'll notice the golf course is on your left as you
drive.
You'll notice a wooden split rail fence (golf course boundary), and
about
100 feet past where the fence ends, you'll see a gate on your left that
allows a parking spot or two under a huge sycamore.  This is where I
parked
when I was there, but other people were pulling off the road everywhere
right there.  This road is very lightly used.  When you get there, I bet
people will be hanging out there already.  This is as good as a place as
any
to see the bird.  I waited over 4 hours to see the bird, but I was there
at
5:30 AM like a jackass.

I'm surprised that more (or any for that matter) aren't trying out Bill
Whan's suggestion on where to look for the bird, which is inside the
course.
I think that it may cost 30 or 40 bucks to get inside that place.  I
know
Bill mentioned that it should only be ten bucks to get a cart, but I
really
doubt that's the case.  Who knows though...

I'm not even sure if I will make it over there again, but I do need to
run up
to Columbus Saturday and if I make this trip I will definitely be
stopping
by to try to see the kite again.  If I do make it out that morning, I
will
probably be at the golf course, roughly from 9:30 to 10:30 or so.  Let
me
know if you think you will make it.  I wonder if Jay Lehman has made it
over
there yet, he would probably carpool.

We'll be in touch,

Glen