OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 06:46:56 -0700
Brad Sparks and I drove to Logan yesterday morning and saw the kite soaring above the golf course
at about 11:00 AM. We had about a 45 minute wait that was rewarded with good views of the bird.

On the way home, we stopped by the wetlands near the Lowes at I-270 and S. High Street in Columbus
to look for the possible Glaucous Gull. There was a single gull there when we arrived, and to the
naked-eye, it did look pale and rather large. When we got the scope on it, it was clearly an
immature Ring-billed Gull. There are light grey feathers in the mantle, and the primaries are a
light chocolate color. It is an odd-looking bird. Apparently it is very sun-bleached to be so
pale.

The wetlands hosted several Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons and one Spotted Sandpiper. There
are fairly good mudflats there now, so the place may be worth checking during shorebird migration.

Happy birding,
Paul

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH