OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
August Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:07:12 -0400
Ohio Birders-

I pead for mercy for doing this, but I can't resist.

I was recently in California for a conference, and took a trip to see the
Big Sur coastline. It is a region of epic vistas, where the mountains meet
the coast. It is also the location of the Los Padres National Forest. For
many miles, Highway 1 runs along a curvy two-lane-wide shelf with the
mountain on one side and a cliff  to the ocean on the other. As I rounded a
curve to follow a cove inland, I nearly went off the road when a very large
bird with white underwing feathers flew about 10 feet above the car. Luckily
I was able to maintain sufficient composure to stay on the road and pull
over at the nearest pull-off. I grabbed my camera and was able to take many
pictures of the six California Condors as they soared over the road. They
were flying close enough that you could see the radio tracking devices they
wore and the id numbers painted on them.

I have posted a few pictures at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/augustfroehlich/ Click the photos and the
little magnifying glass to get larger sizes. I also managed to get a short
video of all six birds soaring together. I have posted it at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7GUl3jnc8 where the compression degrades
the quality, but I think you'll get the idea. I apologize to those with
dial-up connections.

Thank you for indulging me in this. It was just too cool not to share with
my Ohio Birders.

August Froehlich
Dublin, OH
Delorme, 58D1