OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:37:39 EDT
I spent this morning working on my OBBAII Block 58 C2 CE. The highlight was
finding the Hooded Merganser hen I discovered there earlier in the spring. It
appears she lost half her ducklings, but the remaining are basically as big
as  her now.  The Prothonotary Warbler numbers are down substantially but I did
 locate 7 singing males. I'm looking for signs of any attempts for a second
brood  as some of the first broods fledged early this year. There are numerous
fledglings still being fed, but judging by their current size the free meal
time  is about up.

Other fledglings observed today included Brown Thrashers, Gray Catbirds,
Northern Flicker and much to my pleasure, Eastern Meadowlarks.

Activity as a whole was only moderate this morning, but it was good be  out
anyhow.

Species observed includes:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue  Heron