OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:25:56 -0400
Aaron,

I'm overjoyed with the "habitat-challenged" blocks I've been working in
Licking Co., and this is one of my most enjoyable summers ever.  With regard
to your statement:

"Besides, it's a lot of fun to try and top 75 species in some of these
habitat-challenged areas, but it can be done!"

I had 94 species on my total Licking Co. list for the month of June.  (See
http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=234 )  Of those, the only
one that I'm pretty sure was NOT a local nester (at least in the place I saw
him) was the American redstart.  (I only saw a single male, and I think he
was a late migrant.)  Sure, several of the birds were not in the blocks I'm
working, but when I looked at "My Home Page" on the OBBA II website, it
shows a total of 83 species recorded for the seven blocks as a whole
(although I think the highest so far for a single block is 54.)

I'm still getting familiar with my 70-square-mile territory, and have been
inquiring about ownership of certain habitats, so that I can work toward
getting permission for access.  (I'm itching to walk the field where I saw
the two male bobolinks and the single northern bobwhite!)  Also, the Utica
Herald weekly newspaper printed an article about me and the OBBA II.  I've
had several people comment on the article.

The real by-product of this experience, though, is that I'm becoming a
better birder.  I'm really studying the birds I see, and I'm "learning"
them, finally.  I recently got an i-pod and the bird song software, so I can
check calls in the field.  That has really helped, as well.  I would never
have expected to find a sora where I did in Utica 2, Block 59C6CW, but after
I heard it, I was able to get it to respond to the tape to verify my
identification.  I still don't have more than an OS for it, but at least I
know where to look.  Interestingly, the retired lady whose parents owned
that property tells me that in the 1930's and 40's, when she was growing up,
she heard whippoorwills calling at night there.  Now wouldn't that be
interesting.  I have permission to take my camper out and stay the night,
but just haven't had time.

Things are slowing down.  Robins, song sparrows and eastern phoebes are
engaged in raising their seconds broods of the season (CM); Baltimore
orioles are still feeding recently fledged young (CF), but more and more of
the fledglings are becoming independent, and able to travel too far to rate
FY.  For example, I saw a VERY young Cooper's hawk, in the presence of a
parent, no less, capture what may have been his first kill -- a recently
fledged gray catbird that had ventured too far out of cover.  He didn't have
much trouble subduing his captive, but trying to fly with it was another
matter.  I suspect his parents are the same ones that raid my feeders in
winter and early spring, because at the end of May I saw a Cooper's capture
a mourning dove near my yard and carry it toward the river, Newark 5, Block
59D6CE, and that's exactly where I witnessed the young Cooper's making his
kill last week. I will have to wait until the leaves drop this winter to try
to locate the nest, I think, but now I have a better idea of where to look
for it.  And watching adult northern rough-winged swallows feed their young
perched on utility wires and even in mid-flight is thrilling.  Had I not
been atlasing, I would not have witnessed these spectacles or the many
others.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH