OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:36:10 -0400
   I made it to the BFEC (brown family enviro center at Kenyon) just in
time for the birdwalk today at 8:00am. We had a lot of stuff out there
talking it up. Everything on the list was singing, and we were able to
get a look at some of them too. I was also very happy to finally find a
pair of Cedar Waxwings building a nest just north of the office/visitor
center of the BFEC in a Boxelder tree.
List of my fav's:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - heard and seen here and there but I've yet
to get lucky with a nest
Yellow-throated Warbler - 2 singing along the river
Hooded Warbler -      1 singing male, caught a glimpse of him too.
Yellow Warbler - 4+
Northern Parula - 2 heard, 1 seen
Common Yellowthroat - 5, 1 mated pair seen bringing food to a nest
Yellow-breasted CHat - 1 heard
Black-and-white Warbler - seen after the walk a ways down the bike path
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - heard
Indigo Buntings - seen and heard
Baltimore Orioles - seen
Scarlet Tanager - 2 males, 1 female
Rose-breasted Grossbeak - 1 male seen
Warbling Vireo - 1 heard
White-eyed Vireo - 1 heard and great looks too
Yellow-throated Vireo - Male heard, then Pair observed
Red-eyed Vireo - Heard and glimpsed.
E. Kingbird - seen and heard around nest tree
Accadian Flycatcher - 3 heard and seen
Willow Flycatcher - 1 seen and heard briefly
E. Wood-pewee - 2, 1 seen
E. Phoebe - 2, seen and heard
American Goldfinch - seem to be pairing off and stepping it up a notch
Housewrens - nesting in a dryer vent and a Bluebird box
Eastern Bluebirds - seen near their nest boxes (ours have second broods
at various stages of development)
Wood Thrush - heard
Field Sparrows
Song Sparrows
Eastern Towhee - 2 males and 1 female heard and seen
Belted Kingfisher
Great Blue Heron
Pileated Woodpecker - actually came over by the center from up on the
hills of Gambier
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Brown Headed Cowbird - not really a favorite but I noticed that a
juvenile bird had joined up w/ an adult male and female, interesting to
see.
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 chased by Red-winged Blackbird.

     So, all in all a good morning of birds. Anyone who would like to
join us next week for the same sort of action would be more than
welcome, we go from 8:00 till about 9:30 but you can leave anytime you
need to.

   Good Birding,
          -Ben Warner

          The Brown Family Environmental Center