OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 23:02:43 EDT
We saw the kite today around 11 am, initially sighting the bird from the
corner of Keller and the golf course driveway. It was soaring on the ridge to
the left of the clubhouse. We then drove straight from Keller  to Bradford
Drive and took a right which takes you up to that ridge into a housing
development. Two ladies from Columbus were also there while we watched the bird
soaring, hunting and feeding in flight for about 20 minutes. The bird headed  finally
in the direction of the golf course, not to be relocated by us.
We can say the tail had no bands and was dark. The head was light and the
secondaries were white. The first primary on the right wing was obviously
absent. (Photo)
We stopped at Tater Ridge Road in Adams County on the way back to  Cincinnati
and saw:
2 Blue Grosbeaks (M), 1 Grasshopper Sparrow, 1 Prairie Warbler, 3  Red-headed
Woodpeckers and 3 Kestrels. We also heard Bobwhites.

Lori Brumbaugh and Lou Gardella