OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Randel Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randel Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:47:47 -0400
On the 3rd I took my kayak and fishing pole down the Mad River south of Urbana.  Just south of the junction with Nettle Creek, I saw a pair of spotted sandpipers on a sand/gravel bar, at one point within a foot or so of each other, and apparently interacting.  They both appeared to be adults.  This stretch has several sand/gravel bars, along with adjacent meadows/grassy fields, and I count them as possible nesters, although I wasn't expecting to find that along Mad River.

To add to reports from the Lake Hope area over the holiday, I took a canoe around Lake Hope on the 4th, and hiked about a mile along the old rail bed near Moonville (a ghost town just south of the lake).  Around the lake were red-headed woodpeckers, kingfishers, kingbirds, baltimore orioles, and hooded warblers.  The woods around Moonville were full of hooded warblers - the entire time we hiked we were virtually never out of earshot of a hooded singing on territory, and there was also a pair of redstarts.  I also encountered a box turtle, a painted turtle, and a northern water snake around the lake.