OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Dave Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:51:38 -0400
I stopped by Herrick Nature Preserve (Hudson, Ohio Summit Co) this evening and observed a Grebe on the pond.  I did not have my camera or a field guide, so I noted as much as I could.  The bird was visible for quite a while, sat up in the water and flapped it's wings so I got a good look at the underside too.

The bill was long, yellow or orangeish but the top of the bill was dark.  The throat was pale, lighter than the back and head.  The underside (breast and belly) was white.  The wings were white on the secondaries, both on top and on the underside.  The white on the wings was not visible unless the bird was preening.  The bird never did call out while I was there.

Looking at the Sibley guide when I got home the bird looked like the adult nonbreeding or the 1st winter bird.

Other birds observed
Common Moorhen - 1
Green Heron - 2
Wood Duck - 6 (4 males, 2 females)
Red-winged Blackbird - many
Robin - many
Song Sparrow - many

One shorebird - I think it was a Solitary Sandpiper -  The bird had a white ring around the eye.  Also noticed that it would bob it's tail when it walked.

Dave Watkins
Cuyahoga Falls
Summit County