OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Terri Martincic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terri Martincic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 06:40:01 -0500
Happy summer birding everyone,

This Saturday, July 14th, at 8:00 am Gabe Leidy will lead a Western Cuyahoga
Audubon Society (WCAS) hike at Whipps Ledges in the Hinckley Reservation
(Cleveland Metroparks).  Hinckley is an amazing beautiful place.  A Scarlet
Tanager is an easy find from the parking lot and last year there was a
nesting Magnolia Warbler found on the trail around the ledges.  See this
website for a map:
http://www.wcasohio.org/Field_Trips.htm

WCAS is doing a Important Bird Area survey of the Rocky River area.  Field
training for the vegetation survey will be on Sunday, July 15, at 2:00 at
The Chalet.  We need volunteers who enjoy getting off trail, plant knowledge
is helpful, but not required.  See this webpage for more information:
http://www.wcasohio.org/vegetation_survey_2007.htm

Also, there is a Nighthawk consistently over Berea in the evening and some
mornings.  I last saw him on Tuesday about 5:00 pm flying very high without
making a sound.  Where they are nesting is unknown, but it may be in
downtown Berea.

Peace,
Terri

Cleveland Museum of Natural History