OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:33:27 EDT
After several days doing volunteer work away from the preserve I got back  to
home base today. I did maintenance work on some of my Prothonotary Warbler
nest boxes as I covered one of my blocks for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas
project. As we enter mid-July the Prothonotary Warbler numbers have begun to
decline rapidly as the adults begin their migration south. I did find several
adults still feeding fledglings at both Wiese Road and Oxbow Road. In a back
area of Oxbow Road I stumbled onto some very recently fledged Green Herons. With
the pin feathers on their heads they looked like a retro to the heavy metal
bands the kids used to play in the 80's. In the field to the south of Oxbow
Road  before the entrance to the preserve I observed an adult Eastern Meadowlark
 being pursued by fledglings that still wanted a free lunch. As July winds
down,  so does the activity for the atlas project. The songbird pursuit soon to
be  replaced by the shorebird pursuit. The water levels at the north end of
Hoover  Reservoir are currently down by about 5 ½ feet and mudflats are emerging
 everywhere. Although I only saw 5 species today, soon the variety and
quantities  will both increase.  It should prove to be a good year to visit the
boardwalk at Area M to view shorebirds without having to trudge through the mud
as in past years.

Species observed today include:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue  Heron