OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:04:24 -0400
I spent the morning nosing through 2 ravines along the east shore of Hoover Reservoir (NE of Columbus).  Walnut Ravine is near the southern end, and parallels Walnut Rd, while Duncan Glen is almost halfway up the east shore.  Both have parking areas neaby (Area S for Walnut, Area Q for Duncan Glen), but are mainly accessed by crude trails or fisherman's paths.  Fortunately the weather was nice, the water levels low, and the bugs few, so I could comb both for unusual forest birds.  Highlights included:

Spotted Sandpipers - pairs were in both ravines along what was left of their streams, but breeding is unlikely (since these birds weren't here earlier in the Summer)

WIld Turkeys - 2 were walking along the shore of the reservoir inlet that touches Walnut Ravine.  This gives us an insight into how this species has managed to colonize Blendon Woods recently, presumably by moving along the Hoover-Big Walnut corridor.

Cooper's Hawks - both ravines had calling birds (and it's likely that they nested in Walnut Ravine)

Pileated Woodpeckers - 1 was calling at Duncan Glen, while another was drumming at Walnut (where ther has been a drumming bird all June & July).

Flycatchers - while they are slowing down in many of the upland woods, there were still plenty of calling and squabbling Pewees and Acadians in both these ravines.  Perhaps the cooler, moister habitat provides them enough food to try double-brooding

Vireos - both ravines had 4-5 singing Red-eyed Vireos as well as 1 singing Yellow-throated.  The scrubby areas around the parking lot of Area S (Walnut Ravine) also contributed 2 singing White-eyed Vireos, while Area P (near the moth of Duncan Glen) had 2-3 singing Warbling Vireos

Wood Thrush - scarce elswhere around Hoover, they were still singing in both these ravines.  Unfortuantely, I couldn't relocate the Veery that had been singing in Walnut Ravine at the end of last month.

Wood Warblers - Duncan Glen still had singing Yellow-throated Warblers, but Walnut was better, with a calling Louisiana Waterthrush and a singing Hooded Warbler.

Tanagers - both ravines had singing Scarlet Tanagers (in fact, Duncan Glen had two).

Water levels at Hoover seem very low for this date, judging by the fact that both ravines had extensive mudflats in the reservoir inlets that touched them.  I'd wager that if this trend continues, the rest of July and August should be good shorebird months here.

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.