OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
john petruzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
john petruzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:25:06 -0400
I went to Pipe Creek in Sandusky yesterday in hopes of catching a glimpse of
the tri-color heron reported there recently.  No luck on that, but there
were 6 SNOWY EGRETS mixed in with the numerous Great egrets and GBHs in the
NE compound.  There were also several Black crowned Night herons around.

There was quite a good deal of shorebird activity, with yellowlegs, both
greater and lesser, being the most numerous.  Also present were least,
pectoral, solitary, spotted, and (presumably Short billed) dowitchers.

We then traveled to Oak Openings, where we failed to turn up most of the
specialty birds of the area, until we finally located 5 or 6 LARK SPARROWS
in a field off of Girdham (near the tombstones).  No scissor-tailed
flycatcher either...I wish I had known about the sighting I would have
scoured the area much more intensively.  What a miss.

till next time,

John G Petruzzi