OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:41:41 -0400
Fellow birders,

Yes, it is true.  It's a little quieter than it was in June, but birds are
still singing!  In fact, mid-July is probably one of the more productive
times to head out and do some first-time atlasing or clean-up work in your
blocks.  One issue that everyone might be wondering about is the fact that
the list of Ohio breeding species with expired safe-dates is rapidly
growing.  At the moment, we're outside of safe dates for 59 species and that
list will grow significantly on July 21st.  Do not dismay because safe dates
only apply to simple observations in the "Observed" and "Possible"
categories.

If you venture out into a block right now, and I can almost guarantee that
you'll run into fledglings of some sort.or better yet, adults carrying food
to those hidden fledglings that can be impossible to actually see let alone
positively ID.  A morning bout of atlasing today in northern Licking County
produced a hefty 63 breeding species with a 52% confirmation rate.  The
birds we're literally yelling "Put us on the list 'cause we're nesting in
this block!"  It was a great morning, and there were still many warblers,
including Kentucky, parula, yellow-throated, and Louisiana Waterthrush, that
were singing consistently.

If you would like more information about the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II or
if you have questions, check it out on the web at www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/
or contact us by email ([log in to unmask]) or by phone (614-247-6458).

Aaron Boone

Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II

School of Environment & Natural Resources

Ohio State University

210 Kottman Hall

2021 Coffey Road

Columbus, Ohio 43210-1085