OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:05:00 -0700
Seldom in SE Ohio do I get the opportunity to watch decent congregations of shorebirds, but this summer may be an exception.  The North end of Burr Oak Lake in Morgan County (DeLorme 70 D2) has developed a nice little stretch of mudflats.  Recent rains hardly changed the water levels and if anything - helped a little.  This part of Burr Oak can be accessed several ways, but the best would probably be by finding Dock 3 road off of SR 78, which is about 13 miles southwest of McConnelsville or about 8 miles northeast of Glouster in Athens County.  Drive to the end of Dock 3 road and off of the north end of the parking lot, you'll see the recently exposed habitat.  Last night, I had 6 species of shorebirds and was confident in identifying 5 of those: (I need a lot of practice).  These are conservative numbers.

  Pectoral  - 9
  Solitary - 17
  Spotted - 15
  Killdeer - 46 at least
  Lesser Yellowlegs - 5
  unidentified - 1

  I was able to digiscope the unidentified bird (for now) and get some photos - although they aren't that good.  This sandpiper had longish legs and longish bill, dark crown, nape, and mantle, and exhibited bold black barring on the whole underpart all the way to the end of the tale.  Wings were nearly the same length as tail and the posterior seemed to be neatly cone shaped.  Bird had a pale (not white) supercilium and its profile was rather skinny looking at it head on.  The bird appeared to be in fresh contrasting plumage and its back had some white pale edges, along with a more prominent black majority.  Bird had reddish-brown cheeks which is visible in one of the photos.  I'm sure I missed some even more diagnostic field markings but light was fading quickly and distance considerable.   Could this be a Stilt Sandpiper?  Needless to say, I'll be keeping a close eye on this area.

  Also saw about 75 Canada Goose, 20 Great Blue Heron and 15 Wood Duck, 5 white tailed deer -  and 3 raccoon sharing the mudflats.  Other birds that were using this muddy area were tons of Cedar Waxwings and Mourning Doves.  Warblers on or near the edge of the woods included American Redstart, Yellow, Common Yellowthroat and Ovenbird.  Towards dusk, Chimney Swifts and Barn Swallows numbered 50+ each out over the lake.

  Good stuff!

  Glen Crippen
  Burr Oak Lake