OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:00:11 EDT
Hello!

On the spur of the moment, my wife and I headed down to Hocking County to
try again to see the Mississippi Kite.  Unlike our last trip 3 weeks ago  when
we were skunked for 2.5 hours, upon our immediate arrival today at about  3:05
PM, like Ann Cramer's post, a Kite was spotted soaring over the  golf course
area, whirling, diving, and catching/eating insects "on the  fly".  After about
5 minutes, the second Kite joined its mate soaring and  feeding together.
One of the pair disappeared out of view after about 5  minutes of flying
together, and we continued to watch the remaining Kite for  another 10 minutes until
it too disappeared.  We hung around for another 20  minutes hoping to get
another view of one, but left satisfied with  the show.

With the extra time we then had, we decided to stop at Conkles Hollow for a
hike since we had not been there for several years.  Initially,  we hiked the
Rim Trail during which we were serenaded the entire time  by the song of
numerous Hermit Thrush, with a solo accompaniment of a Wood  Thrush initially
thrown in toward the beginning of the trail.  Along  the Rim Trail, we spotted two
of the Hermit Thrush and two Red-Eyed Vireos,  heard several Acadian
Flycatchers, and saw a Barred Owl thanks to the heads  up provided by several
Chickadees chattering away at it just off trail.   After completing the Rim Trail loop,
we then started on the Gorge Trail where we  were greeted by the concrete
monstrosity bisecting the gorge of the "Nature  Preserve".  I had forgot that a
concrete trail was constructed there a few  years ago and literally gasped when
I first saw it.  I totally understand  why it was constructed given previous
storm damage and such but I would  think that a different medium (such as wood
or the boards containing  recycled plastic that look like wood) would have
better sufficed to provide  access for the physically handicapped.  A topic
better discussed (if at  all) on the forum; back to the birds.

Along the Gorge Trail, we had up close views of 2 different sets of
Ovenbirds with fledglings in tow.  Also, we watched an Acadian Flycatcher  feeding her
3 nestlings in a tree adjacent to the trail, and watched  another yellowish
Acadian Flycatcher "fly catching" and calling from a limb over  the small
stream that runs through the gorge.  A beautiful evening for a  hike in a beautiful
area (other than the aforementioned trail).  In an  earlier post today, Ann
Cramer provided excellent directions to the Kite spot,  and Conkles Hollow
information can be found on the Ohio DNR web site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio