OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 02:33:59 -0400
This afternoon I heard a Tufted Titmouse at my window who was making a
scolding call, that I took as an accusation of my irresponsible
behavior for not keeping the feeder filled (he was probably just
scolding his reflection). As I filled the feeders I heard a strange
sound coming from down the hill by the creek, which I soon recognized
as the song of the BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO. I'd never actually laid eyes on
one, though I had heard them before. So I went in and got my bin's and
drug my sister outside as well to try and find this elusive bird. I
tracked it down and the bird flushed to a nearby tree, there we refound
the bird after some work (and then extra work on my part trying to get
my non-birder sister on the bird) and viewed the bird for some time as
it sat partially obscured by leaves, but if we moved around a bit we
got a good view of head, tail and most of its back and belly. The bird
called and we got to see how his throat inflated to the size of a golf
ball stuck in his throat as he made his odd po-po-po-po, po-po-po-po,
song. A happy life-time viewing in my own backyard.

      As a side note to those who bother to read all of this, there were
a good number of shorebirds and Sedge Wrens at Killdeer Plains W.A.
this past friday when I went there to look for snakes. The pond near
the sign marked entrance off of 294, was very low and mud was exposed
providing ample attraction for 6 Solitary Sandpipers, 4 Spotted S.P., 7
Pectoral S.P, 2 Least S.P., 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, and many Killdeer. The
Sedge Wrens were near the Sportsman's Center Calling away repeatedly to
one another, I heard about 3 there and further down the closed road
 from that point I heard 3 more of the little rascals. Even got a decent
view of 2 of them.

  At the Dragonfly conference this past weekend there were some neat
birds around as well. Killbuck, on Force road we located Sora, Virginia
Rail, Singing Marsh Wrens, Bald Eagle, RTHA, 20 Woodducks, a Green
Heron, and the usuals. On Sunday at Mohican State Forest/park area near
the Covered Bridge I Heard/saw singing Yellow-throated Warbler, Hooded
Warblers, Northern Parula, Be. Kingfishers, Wood THrush, Red-eyed
Vireo, Cedar Waxwings, Chips and views of Louisianna Waterthrush,  E.
Phoebe, Accadian Flycatcher (with nest of chirping young) and also the
Singing of the WinterWren from along the trail that heads towards the
dam from the one side of the bridge opposite the river from the
campground. We also saw many cool Dragons and Damsels. A very
successful weekend event.

   Good Birding as usual to all,
        - Ben Warner