OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2007

Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:14:55 EDT
Excuse the late posting but AT & T came to upgrade the local telephone
system and managed to take our entire neighborhood off line. So much for
modernization.

Monday I cleaned and repaired nest boxes in areas M and N at the Hoover
Nature Preserve. This provided me with the opportunity to check the area for
breeding birds for the OBBA and also check the mudflats off Areas M and N and
along the Big Walnut Creek.

The mudflats off Areas M and N are becoming extensive and the shorebird
activity is increasing daily. The highlight was an early Red Knot near the end  of
Area N. Other shorebirds I observed were Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer,
Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted sandpiper,
Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, and a lone
Short-billed Dowitcher,

The mudflats at Wiese Road and along the eastern shore from the East Shore
Yacht Club north are also becoming very active, whereas the cove at Dustin Road
 is drying up rapidly and activity is waning there.

After finishing work on the nest boxes I walked the back off-trail areas of
Area N for the OBBA. I located several nice species feeding fledglings,
including  Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Red-headed Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee,
Eastern Kingbird, Red-eyed Vireo, Tree Swallow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood  Thrush,
Gray Catbird, Northern Parula, Prothonotary Warbler, Scarlet Tanager,  and
Indigo Bunting.

The Osprey chick has fledged from the nest platform and the Ruby-throated
Hummingbird has fledged its two hatchlings. At an area near the tip of Area N I
found a Prothonotary warbler feeding 6 fledglings. They were obliviously to
my  presence and at times came within 5 feet of me as I sat on a downed tree
and  enjoyed the show. I wondered whether this was this a late fledging or
second  brood?

Some species observed included:
Double-crested  Cormorant  (11)
Great Blue Heron  (57)