OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:51:53 -0400
Hi all,
I greatly appreciated Kim's message about Vomit Island, Bird Watcher's
Digest, and the recent episode of Dirty Jobs, which is completely
appropriate for this forum. That episode was fantastic and is on the way to
being one of the most-watched and popular editions of that show. It was
excellent exposure for Ohio birds and ornithology, and I'd encourage
everyone to catch a repeat of the show if they didn't see the original. Not
many people get the opportunity to visit West Sister Island, Ohio's only
federally designated wilderness area, and we can live vicariously through
Kim and the others on that Dirty Jobs show. Everywhere I've been over the
past days since it aired, people have brought it up and raved about it.
Excellent job Kim, Julie Shieldcastle, the Division of Wildlife employees
who were involved, and Black Swamp Bird Observatory. Congrats on bringing
birds to the masses!
Also, I don't know what could be more appropriate to an Ohio birding
listserve than making mention of the largest circulation birding magazine,
Bird Watcher's Digest. Highly informative and enjoyable, it is published in
Marietta, Ohio. Every issue has stuff of interest to Ohio birders. In a case
of perfect timing, the new issue, just out, has a well-written account of
West Sister Island. I just finished reading Kenn Kaufman's story in BWD of
his West Sister Island visit and it's a must-read!
Thanks again, Black Swamp Bird Observatory, for the great work with the crew
of Dirty Jobs and for your willingness to be expelled on by various wading
birds for our enjoyment :-)
Jim McCormac, President
Ohio Ornithological Society
Jim McCormac