OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 18 Aug 2007 16:50:13 -0500673_iso-8859-1 The waters have receded lower than ever at WBSP. It appears that the shorebird numbers are building again.

Knapp Road
Black bellied plover (molting)
Lesser Yellowlegs-12
Semipalmated S.2-4
Least 5
Killdeer 40+
Great Egret-1
Pectoral-3
DCCO-8

Cableline Road (creek mudflat)

Green Herons-8
Lesser Yellowlegs
Killdeer
Wild turkey-12-15
Solitary S. -3

Rock Springs launch
RBGU
Semipalmated plover-2
Killdeer

East end launch nearest the dam. There were several modest flocks of peeps and Killdeers working the shore, east of boat launch. Hordes of mixed swallows on the open water. [...]40_18Aug200716:50:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:07:34 -0400
   Ahh the Dirty Job of being the rule-keeper for a listserve eh Bill?
Your point is true, advertising should be kept to a minimum, But I also
agree that Jim is right very few would mind what Kim said, and it is
applicable to Ohio's avi-fauna. I'm sure you didn't mean to say she had
stepped accross the line too far, perhaps you were simply reminded of
said rule. Anyways I want you all to know Kim, Bill, and Jim, that I
love you all and would never miss a chance to promote you in
advertisment form to this list or in any other arena. I enjoyed the
show very much, having been there on a yet another "dirty-job's" work,
the Watersnake Survey w/ the Snakelady I knew the Islands perils first
hand, its really an incredible place, I'd like to go again. I like how
Judy kept saying "its West-Sister Island" when Mike would call it
Vomit-Island, haha. And of course I did see Kenn in disguise, good to
see him, I'm always a fan.

     On a side-note .... I saw some birds today. Ethan listed mostly
what was at Mosquito, interestingly most of the Spotted sandpipers that
were there yesterday at both Conneaut and Mosquito were gone. Watch for
Hummingbirds as they feed in the Jewel-weed as well as Common
Yellowthroats, Red-eyed Vireos, Phoebes, and E. Wood-Pewees. Lots of
Great Egrets about.  I was glad to make it to Conneaut in the morning
again because a Juvenile RED KNOT showed itself, flying around and
confusing us untill it landed and we said, oh yes, its a Knot. Got some
better pictures this time (well considering the light rainy
conditions). Also there were some other birds as listed, slightly
slower than yesterday perhaps. But an equally impressive showing of
birders with the Kirtland bird club arriving along with some other
folks. Glad to bird with all of you, it was a fun day. List:

Red Knot - 1
Baird's Sandpiper - 1 was seen then Dan Sanders took a look in my scope
and said, ahh there are two, and so there were, a good study.
Least Sandpipers - fewer than the semi-palms today
Semi-palmated Sandpiper - mostly Juvies
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3 or so
Short-billed Dowitcher - 17 or so, mostly Juveniles making I'd's a bit
easier, even more easy when they took off and vocalized
Sanderling- 5 or so, at least one in worn breeding, two or more juv.
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2
Semi-palm Plovers
Black-bellied Plovers - fly-bys
Killdeer
Greater Scaup - seen on the other side of the peninsula in the harbor
area sort of a female looking bird. Got a good look at the wingstripe
Blue-winged Teal  - a pair
Green Winged Teal - a pair
Mallards
Green Herons
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Bonaparte's Gull - 2
Bald Eagle
Belted Kingfisher - female on the break wall
Yellow Warbler
Bank Swallows
Barn Swallows
Cormorants
Rock Pigeons - 1 was a real nice all white. I like ROPI's

           I plan on putting together an online album of the decent
Shore-bird pictures I've been taking thru the scope, I will post a link
when I have it together in case anyone wants to peruse to review their
shorebirds and/or argue with how I've labeled them. :-)

   Good Birding please,

            - Ben Warner