OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:13:42 -0400
As one who was involved in helping arrange for Miami University to host this
mailing list, I feel obligated to add a comment regarding "advertising" in
Ohio Birds messages.

Regular readers of this list surely have noticed the blurb at the bottom of
each message noting that Miami University hosts the Ohio-birds mailing
list.  Miami is a state-supported institution, and public institutions
cannot and should not be involved in promoting individual business or
private entities.  Messages on Ohio Birds that may be perceived as
"advertising" could prompt someone to question the university's support of
the list.  Likely?  Perhaps not, but it seems to me that we should err on
the side of caution.

It is only natural and appropriate that OOS members should recognize and
applaud those businesses (and individuals) who provide valuable services to
the birding community and support OOS activities.  That can and should be
done in OOS-funded communications, at conferences, and so on.  But, in my
opinion, we should avoid even the appearance of "promotion" in a forum
supported by a public university.

By the way, I hope that this message is not seen as scolding or directed
toward individuals.  It's meant, as I trust Bill's message was meant, as a
reminder to all of us regarding the limits of what is appropriate in this
particular venue.

--
Bill Heck