OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:25:17 -0400
Dear All:
        You will find the following on the OOS site at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/emaillist.php#listmanager :
"Who takes care of the mailing list? A list owner is a volunteer who
makes sure that a list runs smoothly and has final say on issues that
arise. This discussion list is not moderated and no prior review of
postings takes place. Ned Keller is the Ohio-birds listowner. Feel free
to contact him at [log in to unmask]"  Well, if ohio-birds is no
longer an unmoderated list, or if Ned is no longer sole list owner, that
is indeed very much "behind the scenes."
        I yield to no one in my devotion to this mailing list, even though I
know diddley about computers. I negotiated its transfer four years ago
from Vic Fazio's aves.net to the OOS; we both wanted it to continue as
Vic conceived it, and he made the right choice among several prospective
sponsoring organizations. Ned Keller and Greg Miller were easily
persuaded to donate their valuable expertise and time to ohio-birds so
that we could all communicate with one another. Later I initiated
inquiries that led to Miami University sponsorship of this list when our
former service provider became too expensive, whereupon Bill Heck used
his own knowledge of computerized communications, and contacts within
the University, to make it possible. No big deal on my part, but I hope
this will demonstrate that I have no interest in conflict that threatens
ohio-birds. Quite the contrary.
        I have learned a lot on ohio-birds, and made many good friends. I hope
my contributions have been, if not always wholly supportive of everyone,
at least timely, thought-provoking, and educational for all. I value
very much this neighborly little back road on the information highway,
and I do get upset when people want to put billboards up along it.
Cordially,
Bill Whan
Columbus