OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Ned Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ned Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:38:55 -0400
This message is brought to you by one of the five ohio-birds list owners
(see below for details).

To quote from the guidelines for this list (which are found at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/publications/emaillist.php#guidelines):
"Complaints that a message is inappropriate are themselves
inappropriate. If you have a complaint, send it to the listowner, at
[log in to unmask] Do not send your complaint to the 1,000 readers
of this list." The same could be said about those who complain about
complaints.

In the alternative, if you want to discuss the list, we have set up a
place to do that, on the O.O.S. Forum, at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/index.php. There you will find a forum
which is specifically devoted to discussing the web site, the mailing
list, and other electronic manifestations of OOS. PLEASE take further
discussions to that forum, so we can get back to talking about birds
here. That request (demand?) very definitely includes messages such as
"I agree, you're doing a good job" and "I disagree, you're stifling free
discussion about this list" - neither one belongs here.

For what it's worth, there are five "list owners" of this mailing list.
Besides myself, they include a faceless entry for the Miami University
I.T. shop, which has the power to shut us down entirely; Mark Boardman,
a Miami U. faculty member who generously agreed to act as our sponsor,
which was necessary to get us a spot on the Miami U. servers; Bill Heck,
a Miami U. staff member who actually did the legwork to get all this set
up; and Greg Miller, the computer guru who set up the previous mailing
list, along with the rest of the electronic presence of OOS. In
practice, I'm the one who deals with the day-to-day hassles of
maintaining the list, including dealing with stuff (expletive has been
softened) like threads about what the list should or should not allow.

--
--
Ned Keller