OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:38:59 -0400
There are signs that the fall migration of common nighthawks has begun,
on schedule. We usually don't see more than a few at a time during the
summer, but I've heard reports of 10-20 in recent days at places, and
that means the first wave of migrants is beginning to gather.
     If you have the chance to look for them in the evening, especially
in the hour before dark, you may see a beautiful spectacle. The most
fruitful spots seem to be along or at least close to riparian corridors.
In fall, they seem to move in several waves, with the last in early October.
     The biggest flock I've seen here was 600+ on 9 Sept 1994; I climbed
up on the roof to watch them pass, over maybe 15 minutes, silent, making
those jerky sidesteps, headed south. Since then flocks have been much
smaller, with more straggling groups of 100-200 passing overhead on good
evenings. Anyway, keep binoculars handy when you're out barbecueing or
walking or doing most anything this time of day.
Bill Whan
Columbus