OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:38:47 -0400
Pat Hayes and I conducted the Kelleys Island monthly census today.  Much of
it was during very heavy rains but numbers proved to be close to normal for
an August census.  This is the 10th year for the August census.  The 10 year
average number of species for August is 64.4 so we were a little below that
today but not bad considering the weather.  Our total individuals were 4228
which is above the 10 year average of 3234.7.  Pectoral Sandpiper was
observed for the first time on an August census today.  However, the
highlight of the day was 4 Little Gulls, 2 adults still in mostly breeding
plumage and 2 juvenile still in very young plumage.  These birds can't be
more than a few weeks off the nest.  Both juveniles showed very dark
markings on the back and head.  The "W" marking of the back and wings could
be seen but calling it a "W" is a stretch for me.  I am not sure what I
would call the pattern but I guess "W" is close.  It was similar to that of
a juvenile Black-legged Kittiwake but the head and back were much darker.
All four birds were observed flying together in a large group of Bonaparte's
Gulls at the state park beach.  We also had several juvenile Bonaparte's in
similar age plumage but very warm brown coloring compared to that of the
juvenile Little Gulls.

63      Double-crested Cormorant
13      Great Blue Heron
187     Canada Goose