OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:02:04 -0700
Brad Wilkinson and I had the Buff-breasted Sandpiper up to 6:20 PM where we left it with a small group of birders. If you don't see it right away, just wait a while. It likes to forage at the south end of the viewing area behind some islands of vegetation. To add to the growing list of birds seen today, we also had a Wilson's Phalarope among some Lesser Yellowlegs.

  Ethan Kistler
  Newton Falls, OH
  www.freewebs.com/trumbullbirding - all about Trumbull County birding

Matt Tenney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Alerted by John's posting, I was able to locate a sure-as-shootin' Buff
Breasted Sandpiper at the Mosquito Lake mudflats along Hoagland-Blackstub
Rd. The bird was present fron 4:15 to 5:00, when the shorebirds were
scattered by a passing raptor, and I was unable to refind it, although I am
certain it's still present. FYI-It tended to keep to the drier areas, and
was typically in the company of a group of Plovers. Great find again John!!