OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:06:47 -0700
I arrived in Ottawa County this evening and I decided to stop by the west end of Port Clinton beach where Larry Rosche found a Piping Plover earlier this month. There was lightning far out in the lake around 8pm but there were Caspian Terns, other terns I couldn't ID and some Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers flying in around the rocks near the sandy shoreline.  I saw another bird that I feel strongly was a juvenile Red Knot. Here is my description:

  Very smooth feathered medium almost light gray bird, larger than a Sanderling, largish fish scale patterns on its back with each one bordered with white but feathers longer stretched out near tail area.  Not real tall bird - low like a Spotted Sandpiper but a little taller.  Long white curved eye brow over eye, dark eye with dark line from bill to eye and it extends past eye slightly at angle  Very bold long (long compared to peeps) bill that was very thick at base, did not appear curved at all.  Slight breast pattern (mottled streaks I think) in front part way down, the primary wing area slightly longer but almost the same as tail in length, but the wings looked black near tail area, white underneath.  When you looked at the bird from the rear you saw white on top of the tail area.  First I thought the legs were fleshy but when I looked at my pictures they were dull greenish yellow.  It had a very very faint peach hue on upper sides.  It moved very slowly and came within
 four feet of me at one point.  It had that sunken cheek look.  From the front of the bird you saw the V of the white eyebrows with only slightly dark on top of head.  Interesting three-toed feet.  Took pictures but can't put on computer til I get home Sunday.  It looked exactly like the juvenile red knot on page 135 of The Shorebird Guide and the juvenile in Sibley.

  Nancy Anderson
  Richmond Hts, OH
  Cuyahoga Cty