OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:12:01 -0400
I made a quick visit to Deer Creek State Park & Wildlife Area this early evening. I had no different shorebirds from what Rick reported earlier today, but I did see 22 Black Terns around 6:30 p.m. on Deer Creek Lake, between the swimming beach and the dam. Other birds seen in the marsh along Dick Rd. not previously mentioned were a Common Moorhen, 4 Green Herons and 14 Great Egrets.

On my way home I saw another flock of 8 Black Terns foraging over a borrow pit along SR 35, a few miles west of Washington Courthouse. We are probably near peak for fall Black Tern migration in Ohio and there is apparently a large regional movement of Black Terns currently underway. There have been many recent and widespread reports of numerous Black Terns (1265 at Miller Beach, Lake Michigan) yesterday and today in both Ohio and Indiana. Checking large bodies of water tomorrow may pay dividends.

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio