OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Regina Schieltz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Regina Schieltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:57:04 -0400
By this time last year there were as many as 20 great egrets at Stump's Pond, a private wetland near Nashville in Darke County..  This morning there were none.  There were no killdeer.  Last week one day there were more than 20.  There were 20 wood ducks, but nothing else. Not even redwing blackbirds or anything flying around.

At a private wetland on Hollandsburg- Tampico Road right at the intersection of St. Rt. 36, there was

1 great blue heron
1 great egret
1 barn swallow
2 wood ducks
a few goldfinches

This is the barest I have ever see this wetland.  There is water, but I saw no shorebirds including killdeer.  Maybe it was just the high pressure area and slightly lower temps. this morning.