OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:31:23 EDT

2007 was an amazing year at the  Hoover Nature Preserve and Hoover Reservoir
in several ways. The year began as  most years with spring rains and high
water creating what appeared to be  excellent habitat conditions for the
Prothonotary Warblers. New nest boxes were  installed at Mudhen Marsh and Area F with
help from Rick and Richard Oxley in  conjunction with Richard’s Eagle Scout
Project. Thus 2007 began with 201 nest  boxes in place at the preserve and 20
more on adjacent private land.
In mid-April the male  Prothonotary Warblers began to arrive and establish
territories. Numbers were  excellent as I began monitoring activity and I wasn’t
concerned that rain had  been minimal since April 1st as the water levels
were high and short  periods of low rain totals are not uncommon.
By May 1st the first  female Prothonotary warblers appeared at Hoover and
things began to get serious.  The males became more territorial and the females
began pairing with them and  selecting nest sites. As I located nest sites I
put up my territory markers to  make it easier to monitor the nests. I began the
year with 60 pre-numbered  markers and quickly realized I need to make up
more which turned out to be an  understatement. I have been participating in the
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II  project and therefore I have been monitoring
beyond my nest box trail. Shaune  Skinner and her father Jim Skinner have provided
me with the opportunity to  monitor areas which would otherwise be
inaccessible as we have headed out in  Shaune’s boat to monitor the islands in Hoover
Reservoir, along the east shore  and several areas along the west shore and up
Big Walnut Creek. Everywhere we  monitored there were Prothonotary Warblers in
numbers and concentrations beyond  expectations. The young fledged in earlier
years are returning to Hoover  Reservoir and every location with adequate
habitat seemed to have nesting  Prothonotaries.
As May and June passed the rains  still did not come and the water levels
began dropping at Hoover Reservoir but  the Prothonotaries pressed on undisturbed
by the conditions. This enabled me to  walk to areas that normally would be
deep water, especially in the back recesses  of Area N. Area N has always been
a hotbed of Prothonotary activity where I have  located many nest sites and
heard other males singing beyond where I could wade.  This year I was able to
easily walk to these back areas and I was stunned as I  located 33 nest sites in
Area N. There is one location that was spectacular as I  could sit on a large
log and watch 6 different Prothonotary Warbler nest sites  at once, the
closest being less than 10 feet from the log. This same spot hosted  a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird that I got to watch build her nest, incubate the  eggs and
fledge the young; several pairs of Northern Parula’s, a pair of  Red-headed
Woodpeckers, Yellow-billed Cuckoos, and a pair of nesting Cerulean  Warblers that had
a territory across the creek but often the male would drop  down to forage
very close to where I sat.
Every year I have been taking  people out with me to see the Prothonotary
Warblers as I enjoy sharing the  bounty of the preserve with others and the
pleasure they have getting close to  these delightful birds. Everyone I hosted this
year went home with smiles on  their faces as they had positive experiences
at the preserve. The topper was the  day I hosted a lady birder who initially
planned to stay until noon but ended up  staying until 5:00 PM. Sometimes you
just can’t turn and go, especially on a day  that you log in 45 Prothonotaries.

With the help of many friends  and visiting birders I managed to GPS the
location of 176 Prothonotary Warbler  territories at Hoover in 2007. The general
locations are outlined in the chart  that follows. Now I get to clean and do
maintenance on the nest boxes. 2008 will  present more of a challenge as Richard
and Rick Oxley and I installed 20 plus  new nest boxes and we will have about
230 nest boxes in the preserve along with  the 20 on adjacent properties.
Hoover Nature Preserve
2007 Prothonotary Warbler  Results By Area**
In
In                             Natural
Area
Boxes                       Cavities                                Total
Area F
0                                 3                                  3
Area I
 0                         12                                       12

Area K
0                                 2                                       2
Area M                                                                 1
                            3                                     4
Area N                                                                   12
                             21                                    33
Big Walnut Creek                                                      0
                         10                                   10
Duncan Glen                                                               0
                              1                                  1
Dustin Road                                                                7
                               6                                 13
Eastshore Yacht Club                                                  2
                          0                                2
Hoover Woods Road                                                     2
                           1                                3
Little Walnut Creek                                                4
                        8                              12
Mudhen Marsh                                                           9
                            7                             16
Old Sunbury Road                                                      9
                           7                                          16
Oxbow Road                                                              7
                             5                                           12
Pelican Island                                                            0
                               3
3
Red Bank Bridge Cove                                                0
                         4                                             4
Twin Bridges                                                              4
                               6                                           10
White Tail Deer Island                                                 0
                          11                                           11
Wiese Road                                                               7
                               2
9
Totals
64                              112
176
** Note that area titles are for  general vicinity and include some adjacent
habitat.
Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)