OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:04:05 EDT

This afternoon I was joined by  Jim and Louise Casto at the Hoover Nature
Preserve. We met at the boardwalk  where activity was slow. There was no sign of
the Little Blue Heron, but there  were 5 Great Egrets. Shorebirds were also
limited as we only observed Killdeer,  a few Semipalmated Plovers, about 5
Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Spotted Sandpipers,  about 12 Semipalmated Sandpipers and
Least Sandpipers, and a lone Pectoral  Sandpiper.
As we were leaving the parking  lot we ran into Bruce Simpson and Robert
McNulty. They had just come from the  east shore and said they didn’t see much
activity there.  We went anyhow as I wanted to show the  area to Jim and Louise.
It was a good decision. Although the numbers were not  high, we had great
looks at what we saw which included several species Jim and  Louise were after.
Upon arrival we  were greeted by 3 Red-Shouldered Hawks that put on quite a
show for us. We then  proceeded to the mudflats where we observed the following
shorebirds:
Black-bellied Plover        (5)
Lesser Golden-Plover    (1)
Semipalmated Plover     (11)
Killdeer                 (50+)
Lesser Yellowlegs             (13)
Spotted Sandpiper          (4)
Semipalmated Sandpiper             (20+)
Least Sandpiper                                (15+)
Pectoral Sandpiper          (3)
Short-billed Dowitcher  (9)
Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve