OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:50:17 -0400
I had been thinking about going to Pickerington Ponds, so when Paul posted
this RFI for the area, I decided to visit there this morning. There were
substantial mudflats, but not many shorebirds.

The most interesting observation involved an Osprey and two Great Blue
Herons. From the Glacier Knoll observation deck, looking south, there is a
line of dead trees perhaps 100 yards long. I noted the Osprey in the tree at
the east end of the line, and the two Great Blue Herons high in the tree at
the opposite end, perhaps ten feet apart. The Osprey left its perch and flew
to the Great Blues, where it flew very close to one of the herons about five
times, making the heron flinch each time. Finally the heron flew away. The
Osprey flew in the same general direction, but stayed at tree-top level
while the heron flew near the ground. The Osprey then went back and perched
in a tree near the second heron, but at least while I was watching, in never
disturbed the second heron.

Here is a list of all the birds I saw.

Canada Goose, several locations
Wood Duck, 12, including 4 young, all at Pintail Marsh
Mallards, everywhere
Blue-winged Teal, 2 at Pintail Marsh
Pied-billed Grebe, 4 at Teal Pond, 2 at Pintail Marsh
Great Blue Heron, 26 total, some at all locations
Great Egret, 9 at Teal Pond
Green Heron, 2 at Teal Pond, 2 at Mallard Marsh
Osprey, 2, 1 at Arrowhead Marsh, 1 at Ellis Pond
Red-tailed Hawk, 1 adult, 1 juvenile, both at Arrowhead Marsh
American Coot, 2 at Teal Pond
Killdeer, many, everywhere
Greater Yellowlegs, 4, Teal Pond 2, Ellis Pond 1 and Pintail Marsh 1
Lesser Yellowlegs, 9, Pintail Marsh 7, Ellis Pond 2
Solitary Sandpiper, 4 at Ellis Pond
Spotted Sandpiper, 1 at Teal Pond
Least Sandpiper, 4, 1 at Pintail Marsh, 3 at Ellis Pond
Ring-billed Gull, 1 at Pintail Marsh
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher, 1 at Teal Pond, 1 at Mallard Marsh
Northern Flicker
American Crow
Barn Swallow, at most locations, 4 young still on nest at Ellis Pond
       Observation Deck
House Wren
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird, 1 seen at Wood Duck Observation deck, 1 heard at
       Glacier Knoll
European Starling
Common Yellowthroat, heard only at several locations
Eastern Towhee, heard only on trail to Pintail Marsh
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Indigo Bunting
American Goldfinch