OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:25:16 -0400
I decided to hop by Hoover Resevoir's Boardwalk near Galena to see if
the juvenile LITTLE BLUE HERON was still there Today around 11:00 am.
It wasn't around when I first got there but after scanning thru the
Shorebirds for a about 15 minutes it appeared from back up the channel
to the east and started catching some small fish around the island
between the boardwalk and the Osprey Platform where it had been seen
before. The bird is all white with the characteristic dull greenish
yellow legs and dusky gray bill w/ black tip. When it hopped over to a
log it gave a few wing-beats and its the first time I ever remember
noticing the dark tips to the primaries of a Juvenile bird. It was
pretty cool. The shorebirds were the usual suspects other people have
reported from this spot. There is also a GREAT EGRET here w/ a number
of Great Blue Herons.

  Good Birding,

      - Ben Warner