OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:36:14 -0700
Greetings!

  Just a quick note regarding shorebirds...as habitat does not abound for such critters in this part of the state.

  I observed a single, adult American Golden Plover at The Wilds on 08/01/07. It was still in brilliant breeding plumage and was seen hanging around with a few Killdeer. I mention this species because I do not see either American Golden or Black-bellied Plover very often around here and the A.G. Plover was a new bird for the Wilds list.

  The usual suspects are turning up here and there, but numbers and diversity are still low. I have only seen Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary, Semi-palmated, and Spotted Sandpipers...along with the resident Killdeer to date for the season...at both the Wilds and Salt Fork State Park.

  The Osprey at the Wilds are also getting ready to fledge (what looks like) three young...very shortly. Again, it must be a bumper crop for Osprey this season.

  More later...

  Good birding,

  Jason

Jason S. Larson