OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 04:34:16 -0700
Greetings!

  I can honestly say that I waited way way too long to go down and try for the Mississippi Kites, so after my final official day of OBBA II field work yesterday afternoon, I decided to treat myself and head down and make an attempt.

  As soon as I arrived at the "official kite spot", by the end of the split rail fence, I was rewarded with a flying bird soaring above the golf course!

  I arrived at around 6:15 and left at 8:00 or so, having my last sighting around 7:30. During the time that I was there I saw at least one bird seven different times, with all sightings being individual soaring birds. The sightings were pretty consistent at about 10-15 minutes apart.Most sightings were fairly distant, but good, with the binocs and scope. My best was for about 3-4 minutes, fairly close in the scope at about 100-150 yards away. I was able to see one of the kites snatch something out of the air on the last sighting and fly off with it below the trees...leg and talons dangling all the way.

  So...that should have been the last official summer sighting, so hopefully someone will go see them today for the first official fall record for the season.

  On another raptor note....the Salt Fork State Park Ospreys raised FOUR young this season and they just recently fledged a couple of days ago. They must not have had any trouble finding food this year with a bumper crop of young like that! I must say...it's starting to look a bit like Florida over there!

  Good birding,

  Jason

Jason S. Larson
11 Depot Street