OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:58:55 -0400
   I made the trek up to Mosquito Creek Lake W.A., to see the Marbled
Godwits today. Thank God the Godwits were still there and in at a
pretty good distance to make viewing them enjoyable. I got there around
noon and stayed an hour or so. They got up at one point and flew a
little further back, but then they returned in time for Chris Pierce
and Jeremiah Roth to see them at the nice distance. Good to meet you
guys, and I'm glad you got the birds as well. I got some photos, email
me if you would like to have some. Most of the peeps were too far out
to I.D. for me.

      I didn't go all the way up there for just 1 measley lifebird (J/k
you know I'd go for just such a reason) but I also justified the trip
by saying I'd try and find a little streamside dwelling salamander that
I had never knowingly had in Ohio before - The Allegheny Mountain Dusky
Salamander (Desmognathus ochrophaeus), which only occurs in the
Northeast corner of the state. After cruising around looking for a good
rocky stream w/ access I finally found one over near the Pymatuning, a
little side stream to this bigger water. There I found and photog'ed
several of the athletic little beasts and returned them safely. A
successful day! Also there were N. Two-lined Salamanders in this nice
stream.

Also seen at Mosquito Creek:

Marbled Godwits - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 10+
Greater Yellowlegs - 10+
Pectoral Sandpiper - 10+
Least Sandpiper - 5+
Killdeer - 20s
plus other unknown S.P.s
Bald Eagle       - 1 adult
Osprey     - 3 birds hanging around their platform
Great Blue Herons
Great Egret - 2
BW Teal
Wood Ducks