OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:45:26 -0400
I spent Sunday morning at the north end of Hoover Reservoir, hoping to see
the Little Blue Heron. I spend about an hour on the boardwalk between 9 and
10 am, but alas, no Little Blue Heron. Shorebirds were fairly numerous, but
I was unable to pick out anything too uncommon out of the hordes of Least
Sandpipers. Perhaps I'm still rusty with the shorebirds since last season.

At the boardwalk, there were: Least Sandpiper (100+), Pectoral Sandpipers
(20+), Greater Yellowlegs (10 or so), Lesser Yellowlegs, (20 or so),
Killdeer ( at least 60), Semipalmated Plover (at least 15), and one
Short-billed Dowitcher. There were also about 20 Great Blue Herons and one
Great Egret off in the distance. One Green Heron was hanging around the
bridge. Cliff Swallows were still around, and there were a few
Double-crested Cormorants as well. I scanned the shore of Wiese road from
the board walk and it didn't seem like there was any more activity then were
I was at, so I didn't go to that location.

I next went to Old Sunbury Road and headed to the small mudflats in the
little cove, but all I had there in terms of shorebirds were killdeer,
lesser yellowlegs, and least sandpipers.

Hoover Meadows had several Song Sparrows, a few Eastern Phoebes, a Yellow
Warbler, Red-tail Hawk, Barn Swallow, Field Sparrow and Eastern Bluebird.
The marshes there are dry.

Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA

Principal Investigator

Historical/Industrial Archaeology