OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

OHIO-BIRDS automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Ohio birds <[log in to unmask]>
08/10/2007 12:03 AM
Please respond to Ohio birds

To: [log in to unmask]
cc:
Subject: OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 8 Aug 2007 to 9 Aug 2007 (#2007-221) [...]52_12Aug200709:12:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:44:09 -0400
  Stopped by Hoover this evening for some good times w/ the birds. There
I ran into Kevin Metzger we got to bird together briefly before we ran
out of usuable light. We got to see a juvenile Peregrine Falcon (with a
bluish/green band I could barely make out). He chased the Ospreys and
the Great Egret and anything else he felt like chasing. He didn't seem
like he was really trying to accomplish much by these general
harrassments. Turned up a pretty bright Juvenile Western Sandpiper
amongst the Semi's and Leasts. Goodish numbers of everything I could
see more over on Weiss road, but didn't head over there, all I could
call from the boardwalk were Pecs and Yellowlegs, and Killdeer. I
didn't see the Little Blue Heron.

List with rough estimates:

Spotted Sandpiper - 3
Pectoral Sandpipers - 5
Leasts   - most numerous peep, probably around 60+
Semipalmated Sandpipers - Juvies and adults only around 30 maybe
Western Sandpiper - 1 juvenile and one possible adult - I lost track of
it as soon as I got on it thanks to the Peregrine
Lesser Yellowlegs    (at least 10)
Greater Yellowlegs (at least 3)
Semi-palmated Plovers - 15
Killdeer
Canada Geese - lots! at least they are keeping the grass on the exposed
mud short.
Wood Ducks
BW Teal - 2
Mallards
Great Egret - 1
Great Blue Heron - 10
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Osprey - 3
Cedar Waxwings
E. Kingbirds
BE. Kingfisher
etc.

          Earlier today when I was around Kenyon College I had a pair of
BROAD-WINGED HAWKS who were being very vocal with eachother. I first
noticed their call as I stepped out of my car to hear a high-pitched
"TISs-seee". Kinda cool.

         Good Birdin'

             - Ben Warner