OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Kathy Mock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:40:47 -0400
Had ... or, more aptly ... saw an interesting lunch today at work.  My
office is on the ground level along busy West Market Street in Fairlawn,
a western suburb of Akron.  Outside the window is some poor landscaping
(unimpressive shrubs and mulch) within a retaining wall.

At noon Darrell, our Executive Director in the office next to mine,
yelled, "Kathy, look out your window!"  An American Crow had just landed
on the wall with a "freshly dead" small bat.  I could assume it was a
Little Brown, but I'm not sure -- or it may have been a pup of a
different species.

The crow proceeded to carefully and surprisingly daintily pull the bat
apart and consume it, saving the fur for almost last.  It had pulled the
wings off and skinned them, putting aside the still-articulated bones.
I did not expect the crow to eat those, too, but it soon did.  (Wonder
if he'll call off tomorrow with a scratchy throat.)

A second crow arrived toward the end of the meal and I assumed they'd
squabble over what was left, but the second bird waited until the first
was done, then checked for any leftover tidbits.  Darrell said that
shortly afterward a crow flew in with a second bat, but landed closer to
the building and therefore out of view.

I wonder if this was a fluke, or if they've discovered a daytime roost
that provides a reliable food source?  Our offices have been in that
location since June 28 and crows are often around and on the building,
but we've never seen them dine there before.

Kathy Mock
Barberton, OH
Summit Co.

"Did St. Francis preach to the birds?  Whatever for?  If he really liked
birds he would have done better to preach to the cats." -- Rebecca West