OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:07:01 -0700
I made a quick and casual check at the wetlands of the Deer Creek Wildlife Area this afternoon. What was the southern part (now the middle section) held several hundred shorebirds of the expected species. I didn't spend much time and didn't do any counting, but species noted included Killdeer, Semip. Plover, Least, Semip., Solitary, Spotted, Pectoral, and Stilt Sandpipers, SB Dowitchers, WSnipes, and both Yellowlegs. More time and effort might have revealed a few more species.

I will have little, if any, time for birding this fall, and probably won't be able to get back there. It does deserve to be checked out, and I hope someone will keep track of the shorebirds there this fall. Deer Creek is a very underbirded location considering it's a quicker and more pleasant drive than Hoover if you live on the S or E side Columbus. If you want to check it out go to the most southern parking area on Egypt Pike Rd. and walk along the gravel road past the woodlot. This parking area is NOT on ODNR's DCWA map, but it's easily seen from the road. It's near New Holland and south of the the dike (where there is a parking area marked on the DCWA map).

The area refered to will be to the N (left) after you enter the area. The magnificent field where ODW destroyed over a hundred Grasshopper Sparrow and Dickcissel nests last month will be on the right (S).  The nests were supposedly destroyed to make room for new wetlands, but all I saw today were a few puddles in the mostly dry mud. A few Killdeers and a half dozen or so Least Sandpipers were using the puddles. It sure was a great thing that ODNR destroyed those nests when they did - NOT!

I checked out the State Park beach on the way back, but it was Friday evening with a lot of "non-birding" activities taking place.  Off at one end were a few Caspians Terns huddled with a flock of R-b Gulls.  Like other SP beaches, early mrning would be a better time to check it out and it might have a better variety close by.

Bob Royse, Columbus