OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:23:40 -0400
After visiting Indian Lake SP, I stopped at Hoover Reservoir at Weise
Road and the boardwalk.  The water level is even further down than when
I last visited on September 9.  There was a small group of shorebirds
with reasonable diversity this evening starting at about 5:00 - 5:30 pm.
I walked out on the mudflats off Weise Road to get a close enough look
at these birds with a scope.  I wore my Muckster Shoes.  Water proof
foot covering is highly recommended!  I walked out as far as I could
until the mud got too soft.  There were foot prints indicating that
someone walked closer to the water than I did!

Pectoral Sandpiper                   14

Baird's Sandpiper                     2 (young birds of the year)

Least Sandpiper                        16

Semipalmated Sandpiper           1

Stilt Sandpiper                          1

Lesser Yellowlegs                     4

Greater Yellowlegs                    18

Semipalmated Plover                5

Killdeer                                     many

American Pipit                           10

Great Egret                               6

I stopped briefly at the boardwalk, but did not add any new species to
the list.  The best viewing was from Wiese Road mudflats.  However, from
the boardwalk I did find a large flock of 20 yellowlegs along the shore
just south of the area where I walked out on the mudflats from Weise
Road.  There were 18 Greater Yellowlegs and about 2 Lesser Yellowlegs in
this flock that was very actively feeding.  I suspect that this flock
arrived between my departure from Weise Road mudflats and my arrival out
to the first observation point on the boardwalk.  They were feeding very
actively, almost a feeding frenzy, as if they had just arrived from a
long flight and needed food before dark.  From Weise Road, I had scanned
the same area but didn't find them, so I think they had just arrived.  I
was hoping for a White-rumped Sandpiper or a Long-billed Dowitcher,
previously reported at Hhoover, but no luck this time.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH