OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:48:46 -0400
It was a lovely and cool morning for the Wed. morning birdwalk at the BFEC (Brown Family Environmental Center) property this morning, but only Susan and I were there to witness the morning's treasures. First off, right in a dying maple infront of the office building and visitor center I had a Tennessee Warbler, then a bright male CAPE MAY WARBLER. We moved along to walk down the Kokosing Gap bike trail and had Indigo Buntings, flocks of Cedar Waxwings, and a calling, sometimes singing male Rose-Breasted Grossbeak. The White-eyed Vireos are still out and singing repeatedly. Just into the trail where the trees get taller we heard a somewhat rough sounding HOODED WARBLER singing repeatedly. He gave us incredible looks, what a pretty little guy, I wonder why he was singing so much, silly fellow. I pished a few times and he flew right towards my head. Also singing were E. Wood-Peewes, one Acadian Flycatcher, Warbling Vireos, and Yellowthroated Vireos. Around the bend of the planted Prairie field (you can take a cut thru from the bike path) we were treated to a smorgasbord of birds in the Sycamores and low shrubs infront of them. Best was a stunning male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, who gave us great looks from only 20 feet away and closer. I felt so lucky to get to see two in a mere few days. Also notable I thought, was a number of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers who were feeding away, I haven't seen these guys in a number of weeks. A Brown-Thrasher was also lurking, I got a peek.

List of highlights:

Golden-Winged Warbler - 1

Yellow-Throated Warbler - 1

Cape-May - 1

Magnolia - 10

Tennessee - 5

Black-and-White - 1

Wilson's Warbler - 1 female

Hooded Warbler - 1 male singing away

Common Yellowthroat - 5 with very good looks

Rose-Breasted Grossbeak - 2

Blue-Gray Gnatcacther - 8

Warbling Vireo - 1

Yellow-throated Vireo -2

Red-eyed Vireo  = 4

White-eyed Vireo - 3

Scarlet Tanager - 1 male and 1 female in basic/winter plumage

Indigo Bunting - 3

Brown Thrasher

Gray Catbird - 10

E. Wood-Peewe - 1

Acadian Flycatcher - 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 2

Hairy Woodpecker - 1

Downy Woodpecker - 3

Red-headed Woodpecker -2

N. Flicker - 1

Cedar Waxwing - many with plenty of juveniles

Field Sparrow, etc.

     So it was a very nice walk. If you want to join the fun next week we'll be meeting at the BFEC white barn-like building on Laymon Road, with a paved Parking loop (not the farmhouse). We Meet most wednesdays for the walk from 8-9:00 all levels of experience are welcome and we have binoculars you can borrow.

       Good Birding,

             - Ben Warner

The Brown Family Environmental Center
9781 Laymon Road, Gambier, Ohio 43022