OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:00:55 -0400
I'm in a ground floor appt with a small cement patio.  I have a
wooden chair
and coffee table out there.  The coffee table I've pushed up against
the wooden 4x4
supporting the deck above me for the convenience of the 2 WBNH's that
like to
walk down it and snatch up sunflower's and hearts I put close on the
table.  I also
sprinkle around the patio.   Now I have attracted a group of grey
squirrels as well.
This mornings food was pretty well gone with "everybody" (HS,
squirrels, MD's)
hanging around, picking through the hulls for the last bits and I saw
one of the
White Breasted Nuthatch's standing on the corner of the coffee table
watching
when he spread his wings - like a really big stretch, not just out
but with the wings up
and sort of forward as well.
At first I thought he was stretching - but he kept them that way and
started
leaning back and forth like he was doing side stretches.  He kept
this up for say
15 seconds.  All I can think of was he was trying to intimidate the
squirrel below him
foraging on the patio.  The squirrel of course paid him no mind
though he did look
at him once for a few seconds.  I've seen birds hop at each other
assertively when
foraging and also hop at squirrels.  This was quite different.  It
was almost like he
was trying to mesmerize the squirrel.  It looked like something
bigger bird would
do when mating.
Not a big deal but thought I'd share,
Mary, Dayton area