OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:11:49 -0400
I spent about 2 hours scoping any areas here that were promising, mostly on
the new wetlands off Egypt Rd. (as described earlier by Robert Royse).  This
area (DeLorme p.67, D-6) is accessed from a parking area just north of New
Holland, a 5- to 10-minute walk out an old farm road to the wetlands, one of
which is under construction.  Along the way, a Black Willow swamp area held
several migrants, including Black-throated Green, Magnolia, and Nashville
Warblers and Common Yellowthroat. Highlights from the wetland area:

Am. Golden-plover - 2

Stilt Sandpiper - 2

Dowitcher sp. (distant, prob. Short-billed) - 2

Lesser Yellowlegs - 30-40

Greater Yellowlegs - 4-6

Semipalmated Plover - 4

Pectoral Sandpiper - 5-10

Least Sandpiper - 10-20

Killdeer - 50ish

Horned Lark - 50-100

The Dick Rd. wetlands, now without water (but I'd hesitate to say "dry"),
also had 2 Am. Golden-plovers as well as many Killdeer.

The reservoir itself was still largely full, with only a slight bit of
habitat at the upper end.  I'm not sure if the US Army Corps of Engineers is
beginning to draw it down yet, but this area definitely deserves some
attention as the season progresses.

Eric Reiner

Ashville, Ohio