OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:42:38 EDT
The cool weather last night apparently pushed  a wave of warblers and  some
shorebirds south as I located both good numbers and variety at the Hoover
Nature Preserve this morning. My intentions were good, to do nest box
maintenance, but between good shorebirds on one side and warblers on the other,  my good
intentions took a hit.

Along the shore and in the grassy area between the water and the tree line  I
located the following :

Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged  Teal
Northern Shoveler
Great  Egret
Black-bellied  Plover
American  Golden-Plover
Semipalmated  Plover
Lesser  Yellowlegs
Ruddy  Turnstone
Sanderling
Western  Sandpiper
Least  Sandpiper
White-rumped  Sandpiper
Pectoral  Sandpiper
Buff-breasted  Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher

The edge tree line produced an Olive-sided Flycatcher and an immature Bald
Eagle

The forested edge area that normally would be in water and along the old
roadbed the following species were observed:

Least Flycatcher
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-headed Vireo
Ruby-crowned  Kinglet