OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Greg Spahr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:36:57 -0400
Allen,

Thanks for the comments on the hummers and hornets.  Next year we'll
probably investigate some different style feeders to see which one is
more difficult for the bugs to use.  The hornets don't reuse their
nests year after year, so maybe they'll relocate elsewhere next year.
We'll make an effort to properly mix the hummer food, and we'll most
certainly not use commercial hummer food again for economic reasons as
well as what I learned in the links you so kindly provided.

Regarding the potency versus size theory to insect sting toxicity, my
wife indicated that the hornet that stung her did not hurt as much as
the little yellowjacket that nailed her last year, but that's a fairly
unscientific study.  I don't plan on conducting any of those
experiments myself, I'll leave that to the experts.

Lastly, I was saddened to see a Swainson's Thrush has hit the window of
my office building (near Dayton) and died.  I'd never seen one so
close, his back is a brighter shade of olive green than I'd ever
noticed in the field.  Nice bird, too bad he's dead.  I met a great
number of his relatives in the woods over the weekend (John Bryan State
Park), so I think the species is well this year.

Good birding,

Greg Spahr (Fairborn, OH)