OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
PAUL RODEWALD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAUL RODEWALD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:41:42 -0400
Yesterday evening at 6:30 pm (16 Sept) I observed an ANHINGA in Warren, Ohio (Trumbull Co.) on the site of WCI Steel, a large steel plant south of town.  The bird was circling about 150 feet high over a building with massive furnaces.  I could very clearly see that it was a young bird with light brown head, neck, and chest.  The bird had a long thin neck and a pointed bill (I could see some yellowish).  It had a LONG fan-shaped tail that was narrow at the base.  The tail and neck were approximately equal in length....all in all an unmistakable profile.

Although it was late in the day and a temperature of only about 68 degrees, the bird located strong thermals coming from the steel mill furnaces.  It started to circle in the thermal, flapping occasionally, this lasted for several minutes until the bird was hardly visible from the ground(!).  It then embarked on an long straight glide to the south and out of sight....a lucky find in the most unexpected of places.

Paul Rodewald
Worthington, OH