OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:37:04 -0400
I spent a few hours yesterday morning roaming around this expansive Park in southeast Columbus.  It features 3 different riparian zones that converge into one, and can act as a migrant concentration point.  Yesterday it performed that role well, with a steady stream of migrant all morning, ranging from thrushes, vireos, and warblers to shorebirds on one of its drying ponds.  Highlights included:

Herons: 2-3 Great Blues and 7 Great Egrets were on a drying borrow pit along the main bikepath

SHorebirds: the same pool contained a nice assortment of shorebirds, including 8 Kildeer, 1 Spotted Spr, 2 Solitary Spr, 2 L.Yellowlegs, 6 Least Spr, 2 Semipalmated Spr, and 7 Pectorals

Swifts,Swallows:  a large flock was foraging & drinking at Heron Pond earlier in the morning, including 80+ swifts and 35+ Rough-winged swallows

Flycatchers: nice movement of Wood Pewees, with 2-4 at every stop.  A Least Flycatcher was also at Heron Pond

Red-br.Nuthatch - 1 calling from the pines around the Bixby Road access picnic area.  This is a very reliable location for them.

Vireos: Red-eyed were at several stops; also had a Philadelphia and a singing Warbling at Heron Pond

Thrushes: a fair number, with 10-12 Swainsons over the entire morning, 3 Wood Thrushes feasting on grape berries at the Bixby Road access, and a Veery calling at Heron Pond.  This was despite hearing very few migrants in a half our the prior evening (only 5 Swainsons called).

Mimids: all the common 3, with a Mockingbird at Bixby and a thrasher lurking along the Confluence Trail.  Catbirds were everywhere, though not in high numbers.

Warblers: 12 species - Tennessee(10), Black-thr.Blue, Black-thr.Green (4), Magnolia (4), Chesnut-sided, Yellow-rumped, Blackpoll (5), Bay-breasted, American Redstart, Ovenbird (4), N. Waterthrush, Com.Yellowthroat
Tennessees were bird of the morning, present at every stop.  At one point along the Confluence Trail I had a flock of 5 working their way through the ground cover of white snakeroot and coneflowers, offering gorgeous looks at what for me has been a 'treetop' warbler.

Buntings-Grosbeaks - good numbers of Indigo Buntings, led by 6 around Heron Pond

Basically, fall migration is in full swing.  If you want 2 areas to focus upon, the area around Heron Pond (at the Heron Pond access) or around Turtle Pond or the nearby bikepath (at the Bixby access) were very productive and should remain so for a few days.