OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:53:49 -0400
Hi all,

A thread has been playing on the ID-Frontiers website which should be of
interest to birders. Bob Powell has summarized it nicely on the Ohio Birds
Forum at: http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/

In a nutshell, Common Ravens have been increasing significantly in states
just east of us as the Appalachian populations expand westward. These
interesting mega-crows once bred widely in Ohio, but were extirpated by 1900
or so.

They breed nearly within a stone's throw of Ohio in Pennsylvania, and are on
the increase in that state. Some of the big former strip mine sites in
places like Belmont, Jefferson, and Harrison counties could/should/might
harbor them and birders should be on the alert.

I would clamber out on a limb and say that we will get our first breeding
record of Common Raven in Ohio in over a century next year, and they'll be
found in Jefferson County. Or at least sometime during the course of the
ongoing Breeding Bird Atlas II project.

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio