OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:07:03 -0400
>We are still seeing a lot of hummer acitivity at our feeder- shouldn't they
>be gone? are we doing harm by feeding them?

We also have at least two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds hanging around our
feeders. We are probably seeing migrants from further north. They will be
gone soon, but it is not really late for them. We have had them as late as
September 30, and Peterjohn says they may be as late as October 5-12, and
there are a few records from the last half of October.

You are not doing any harm by feeding them. They will leave when they are
ready, regardless of feeders. They need plenty of food to carry them to the
Gulf coast and across the Caribbean. Many of us keep the feeders in place
until at least December for use by Rufous or other western species in the
event they happen by.

Gene Stauffer
Grove City